Monday, July 27, 2009

Write about what you love...

They say you should write about what you love, and one of those things for me is reading. I love getting lost in an amazing book, I've laughed and cried with people and characters, I've closed books with a sigh thankful I finally finished it, and I've closed books with a sigh longing for more of the story. I have a hard time getting rid of books, especially ones that touch someplace in my heart or mind, unfortunately having open shelving full of books is like a magnet for a toddler, so most of my books are packed away in boxes for now. But I thought I'd share with you just what is (or was) on my bookshelves.

I love memoirs, not of famous people but of regular people who have something to share about their lives. Here are some of my very favorites :

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster. This was the first of her books, others include Bright Lights, Big Ass, and Such a Pretty Fat, which I have also read. Her newest book is entitled Pretty in Plaid, unfortunately I have not had the extra money to purchase this book, but it is on my wishlist for sure! If you are looking for a book that will have your laughing until your sides hurt, you must check out Jen Lancaster. Also, check out her blog.

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I always think that books are better than the movies, and this is certainly true of this book as well! Also check out some of his other books Dry: A Memoir , Magical Thinking:True Stories, and Possible Side Effects. His newest books is titled A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father, and is sadly yet another book I have yet to read. The only thing I can really say about these books is Augusten certainly puts the FUN back in disfunctional, the man had led a very interesting life!

Any of these books would make great summer reads! I'll post more of my favorites soon, including my favorite fiction.



No comments:

Post a Comment