Monday, May 3, 2010

Attention Dog Whisperers.

So my dog Sigmund, who is a pug, thinks he is a person. Well, atleast I think he does...or maybe he thinks that Amryn is some sort of strange dog or other pet, because he has a serious case of jealousy. Now I know that sometimes dogs can get jealous when you bring home a new baby, the funny thing is though we got him when Amryn was about 18 months old, so she was here first! Here's some examples of his jealous behavior, today I was sitting on the couch eating some pretzels and Amryn came up to sit with me so she could have some too, well of course Sigmund has to jump up on the couch and sit there staring at us like "Where's mine?" Or if I'm sitting at the computer and Amryn wants to sit in my lap, I'll lift her up and hold her on my knee, and everytime Sigmund is there jumping up and nipping at her or scratching her, and when I put her down, he won't leave her alone! He puts his mouth over her hands (does not bite her though) or knocks her down, I think he's trying to play but is just too rough or doesn't understand why she doesn't particularly like it. I'm not sure if he is jealous of me for being with her, or jealous of her for being with me, because he has sort of adopted me as his "person". I think that the other problem is that the family we got him from also had another dog, so he's used to having someone to play rough with, but they also had a 4 year old daughter, who would have been Amryn's age when they got him, and they said he was great with her.



Anyway, the hubby and I are at our limits with some of his behaviors, so we have signed Sigmund up for a training class at the local park n' rec, but it doesn't start until June! This is the first dog I've ever really owned, as the dogs my family had were all when I was Amryn's age, so I have no clue how to go about training a dog. Any dog experts out there have any advice? My husband already has 2 different homes lined up for him, but I really really don't want to get rid of him, I mean just look at this face!




No comments:

Post a Comment